Saturday, September 10, 2011

World Suicide Prevention Day

Another day has dawned and a quick read of today's paper reveals no mention of WSPD. Less than last year - even though the Press Council has rewritten the guidelines regarding the reporting of suicide in the media.

Glad the article I have in the Sydney Morning Herald's online edition is getting quite a few reads and some 'likes' on facebook!
My thanks for this opportunity go to Julie Robotham (Health Editor) and Mindy Laube (online Lifestyle Editor). I hope this may go some way towards raising awareness.

So today, spare a thought for the 2000 families affected by suicide within Australia annually and understand that when someone takes their own life how unwell they must have been to take such a drastic step.

Yesterday I attended the Wesley Lifeforce memorial at the Sydney Opera House and I was glad I did. It was another step in the healing and grieving process and yes, I was,for the first time surrounded by others who could empathise.

My current fundraising efforts for the Black Dog Institute are going well - it is a freezing morning here, with strong winds predicted, but Buster and I will enjoy it regardless - the sky is clear and the ocean will be in its usual splendour.

I'm always happy to see funds raised for Black Dog,as the Institute provides such a wealth of support but I can't help but think about another area we've directed funds to in the past.

Our local hospital's pysch ward.

Often under resourced, the nursing staff do a great job yet the patients often have little to occupy them during the day. Think about donating directly to your own local hospital - current magazines, board games, dvds, even that wii or exercise bike you may no longer use would go a long way to help pass the time, keep busy for those who, like Greg, were in hospital for safety reasons.

Just a thought on a day when we are thinking about suicide prevention.

7 comments:

  1. I read your article in the Age online today and until then had no idea that there even was such a thing as world suicide prevention day. I have suffered from mild depression at regular intervals over the years (including PND with the births of my children) and it is something I know will always be part of my life. I have an incredibly supportive husband who is sometimes bewildered but always there for me. I was touched by your comment about never being angry at your husband for taking his own life - suicide sometimes seems like a selfish option because it leaves behind such confusion and pain. I admire you for sharing your journey so openly - i believe more people need to talk about their experiences - and I hope you find some answers that bring you peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about WSPD either until last year. I naively believed that I would hear about any events last year, but didn't as the press barely mentioned it. The stigma continues. Now I check out the website regularly.
    Thankyou for your thoughtful comments. I, too have experienced PND and learned much about myself in the process. All the best to you.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lost two friends who committed suicide and god knows how many more friends have tried and failed. The truth is no one knows and it can happen any day to anyone. It can happen out of the blue and prevention might not always be possible. Yes, for sure, important to try, but I have seen some amazing minds suddenly facing total darkness with little way out. I respect their decision. It's just very hard to cope with thinking about it daily, for the living that is. You are doing a great thing and above all that is remembering. lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your article on the SMH today... I almost cried.

    My husband is a depression sufferer, as well as PTSD. My eldest male cousin is bipolar and blogs about life as a sufferer at http://bipolaradventures.tumblr.com/

    My best friend also suffered depression and anorexia. Caroline suicided by alcohol, and died January 15th. I still miss her terribly some days.

    Thanks for doing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lost my mother in 1998 to manic depression. She, too, tried all treatments, but nothing helped her. She was in and out of hospital the last year of her life. And the morning when my Nanna and aunt appeared at the back door, I knew with one look why there were there.

    My heart is with you and I weep for the grief you have which must still feel so raw. I can empathise with your children who will grow up without their father, having lost my mother at the age of 14.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon, You are one very strong woman. Thank you for baring your soul and sharing this very sad story. You are making a difference. Take care of yourself and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irene Buckler12 September, 2011

    Sharon,

    I was not surprised to read your story. You are such an effective communicator and your words articulate a struggle with which many, I am sure, can identify. As for me, I am reminded how often have one of my friends (or I) complained of feeling depressed. Pffft! None of us (as far as I know) suffer (or have suffered) with anything that even loosely resembles the overwhelming illness you described.

    While I appreciate that the 'black dog' is denotes depressive illness, I hope that your lurking black dog has moved on, and that every black dog you now encounter is a happy-go-lucky tail wagger that brings a smile to your face.

    I:)

    ReplyDelete